Legislative Action: Make True Change
Advocacy on Your Behalf
- With your support, NASW-Kansas Chapter advocates for social workers at the state licensing board to balance the public’s interest with our professional needs as social workers.
- The NASW-Kansas Chapter advocates on your behalf by voicing the concerns of social workers during state discussions of compensation, reasonable caseloads, and more.
- NASW- Kansas Chapter helps inform policy on social justice and client-based issues.
Legislative Advocacy at State Capitol
“There’s power in me.” – Jane Addams
- NASW-KS recognizes and stresses the importance of legislative advocacy by professional social workers through holding an annual advocacy skills training at Washburn University in February of each year and then participants head to the State Capitol to meet with their legislators.
- The actions of the Kansas legislature affect the practice of social work and the clients social workers serve. Policy affects practice and practitioners can affect policy.
- Membership provides social workers with regular advocacy and policy updates from both the National office and the NASW-KS state chapter office.
With your help, we’ll continue to be influencers at the Statehouse, working to meet the needs of Kansas social workers in human services, mental health, and equitable financing of state services.
KS Chapter – In the News
January 21st: 2019 – KCUR NEWS –
Becky Fast, head of the Kansas chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, said Kansas’ number of social work graduates and licensed social workers grows every year. It’s just a matter of convincing them to work for an agency experiencing a very public crisis.
“When I speak at colleges across the state, at least half the bachelor students raise their hands and want to work with children and families,” said Fast. “But they want to work in a system where they receive training, support, and supervision.” https://www.kcur.org/post/watch-these-things-new-governor-tries-fix-kansas-child-welfare#stream/0
Your Voice During Elections
- What is PACE (Political Action for Candidate Election)?
- KS PACE is the political action committee dedicated to advancing social workers’ public policy goals in campaigns and elections. NASW Kansas PACE endorse state and local legislative candidates, and endorses candidates for statewide elections.